Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Lawnmower Has A Friend

You read it right! The lovely lawnmower that inspired this blog is now no longer an only child. The story takes a bit of time to explain, so I'll get right to it.

Brian and I have been renting from his parents ever since they moved from their house to the beach for his dad's job, which has been the biggest blessing ever. Not only have we had a fenced yard, but it's furnished, washer and dryer, appliances, quiet street, and really sweet neighbors. Plus it has given us a good opportunity to get on our feet financially (considering Brian's laptop went to the big Best Buy in the sky...that hasn't really happened).

Well, a week or so ago, Brian and I decided to try and try and spread our wings and begin looking at a place of our own. We quickly found a townhouse that we are absolutely in love with closer to our college campus that was offering a very nice rental price. The only downside is that we have no furniture, and more importantly, no washer or dryer, something that the apartment doesn't supply. My uncle has been awesome and is supplying us with a lot of furniture, but I have still been searching Craigslist and Target, etc. for sales and items we need.

So here we find the story. The other day I found a "too good to be true" ad on Craigslist for a Maytag HE top-loading clear lid washing machine...for $150. Wait, what? These things retail for upwards of $1100, so why is this one so inexpensive? There's got to be something wrong with it, right? So I email the guy expecting to be disappointed. Turns out he is a storage unit buyer and recently came across a single unit with sixteen appliances in it, including this washing machine. After speaking with him, we determined that the previous owner of the unit was probably an appliance dealer, because the unit also had two never-opened stainless steel refrigerators, washers, dryers, and other kitchen appliances.

This morning Brian and I talked it over and he gave me the go-ahead to make the decision if I thought it was a good buy. I took a friend with me and drove to Statesville to take a look at it and make a decision. We watched the machine cycle through with water, empty, spin, etc. and I fell in love with it.

Here are a few pictures that were taken from the ad, a picture that I took while looking at the washing machine today, and its new location in our car port. So, announcement made! Mr. Lawnmower now has a friend in Mr. Washing Machine :) Hopefully Mr. Dryer will be on his way soon!

Oh and also, I moved this thing out of my car by myself. That's right. By myself. I'm a beast.

The picture from the ad.

The picture I took during our visit.

The temporary home in the garage!

4 comments:

  1. uhhhh any leads on those fridges??? I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check Craigslist. It's been the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's such an awesome deal. Craigslist amazes me. Sometimes I see stuff on there priced at over retail and then other great stuff like this for practically free. Great buy!

    ReplyDelete